Procedures and Requirements
The baggage regulations in LIR are based on the international provisions of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and TSA (Transportation Security Administration) to establish the airport security guidelines.
Any person who carries equal or greater than $10,000 in cash or its equivalent in another currency or in articles must declare it to the customs officer. Otherwise, your belongings will be confiscated according to the 8204-law article # 35.
Where should I go if I get items confiscated other than luggage?
If the retention is made at the Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport, the officer will inform you in which Customs Warehouse the goods will be transferred. To withdraw it, the interested party must present the voucher at the time of the retention and pay the corresponding taxes. Art. 377 RLGA.
- International flights: It is recommended to arrive three hours before the time indicated for the departure.
- Domestic flights: It is recommended to arrive 1 hour before the time indicated for the departure.
- Make sure you have a valid passport.
- Verify that the departure tax is already included in the price of the ticket. Otherwise, you can pay the corresponding US, 00 at the Banco Crédito Agrícola de Cartago office located at the lobby.
- Each airline has specific guidelines regarding dimensions, allowable weights and amount of luggage per passenger. Verify directly with your airline for further assistance regarding your concern.
- Once your flight is checked, you will go to the departure migration inspection counter. There you will present your passport and boarding pass.
- At the security checkpoint you will be asked to scan the carry-on baggage. When going through the inspection, you should remove any metallic items, coins, keys, watches and electronic devices that you carry with you. These will be scanned through x-ray machine, as well as the passenger.
- After passing the security filters, you can locate the corresponding boarding room assigned to your flight.
- While in the plane, you will receive the customs procedure form. This must be completed.
- Follow the signs towards the migration area.
- A migration officer will review your passport and give you the authorization to enter Costa Rica.
- After the migration checkpoint, there is the Baggage claim area. Each carousel has a screen that indicates the corresponding flight number.
- In the baggage claim area you will find the counters for car rentals.
- Going through the customs control your luggage and the declaration form will be checked.
- Upon leaving the lobby you will find an offer of services such as mobile sim cards, private transportation, shops, money exchange and the official red taxis.
At the time of arriving at the airport, you must bring a certification issued by a veterinarian that includes the name, breed, specifications in order to confirm that the animal is up to date with the vaccinations and health condition. That certificate along with the pet must be presented at the corresponding counter of your flight to authenticate if the animal complies with the guidelines established by the airline. If so, the airline contacts SENASA to proceed with the validation seal. The passenger must pay the departure tax of the animal.
For further detailed please check on http://www.senasa.go.cr/tramites-y-servicios/preguntas-frecuentes or call at (506) 2668-1475.
Use only authorized transportation services. Passengers can identify them because they are wearing credentials and uniforms of the company.
Make your reservation in advanced in order to have someone waiting for you upon your arrival.
Get the car rent reservation at the counters inside the terminal.
The parking area is currently public and free. It is recommended to be cautious and do not leave valuables items inside the car. Although the area is supervised with surveillance cameras, it is still a public access area.
Since 2012, smoke-free places were established in public areas according to the Law 9028. Therefore, there are no smoking rooms or smoking public areas allowed around the terminal. It is recommended that visitors respect the established law regulations.
By security protocol, passengers companions are asked to wait for them on the airport sidewalk, unless they receive authorization from security personnel.
How do I get there?
Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport is located 12 km west from Liberia downtown, on highway 21.
If you’re using public transportation, the urban bus of Pulmitan, route Liberia-Aeropuerto-Liberia goes every half hour starting at 5:00 am. The approximate price is $1
Another option is Transportes La Pampa route Liberia-Nicoya-Liberia.
The bus to Coco beach does not enter the terminal, so you must take a bus that leaves you on the main road 21 and take the other bus that will take you to your destination.